More urgent reasons behind Vermont Woods Studios fight to save the Amazon and other rainforests:
- The Amazon Rainforest oft described as the “Lungs of our Planet”, recycles the green house gas, carbon dioxide into oxygen. More than 20 percent of the world’s oxygen is produced in the Amazon!
- You won’t believe this but widespread fires in the Amazon, set intentionally to clear land for agriculture, are now making Brazil one of the world’s leading greenhouse gas producers!
- At least twenty percent of the Amazon has been cut down/slashed and burned in the last 40 years (more than in the previous 450 years of European colonization)
- Scientists predict that another 20% will be lost over the next 2 decades
- Nearly every road in the Amazon is unauthorized — cut by trespassing land sharks (with forged phony land titles) who clear the land for timber, pasture and soy production. (Brazil is the world’s largest exporter of beef and second only to the US in soybeans. Rainforest soil is not suited to these purposes, thus mass amounts of pesticides and fertilizers are used further worsening the problem)
- I’m not making this stuff up. My sources aren’t some left wing groups you’ve never heard of. Check out some of these mainstream references: National Geographic, Audobon Magazine, United Nations Millenium Ecosystem Assessment, CNN Planet in Peril. If we want to keep breathing oxygen, we’ve got to get busy and do something now! Read more and get on The Green Train.
This blog is written by your friends at Vermont Woods Studios. Check out our Vermont made furniture and home decor online and visit our showroom and art gallery at Stonehurst, the newly restored 1800s farmhouse nestled in the foothills of the Green Mountains.