More and more customers are contacting us these days looking for non-toxic, natural furniture. For some people natural products are just an integral part of their lifestyle while others are trying to cope with newly-identified sensitivities and allergies they are tracing back to home furnishings and flooring.
I thought it might be helpful to list some of the questions one should ask when purchasing natural eco furniture:
- What type of wood is used?
- Where does the wood come from?
- How is the wood processed? Are chemicals used in processing? What kind of chemicals?
- What type of finish and/or stain is used? Is it a low VOC or no VOC finish-stain? Can you supply an MSDS (material safety data sheet) for the finish?
- What type of glue is used? Is it non-toxic? Does it contain formaldehyde? MSDS available?
- Where is the furniture made and by whom?
- How is the furniture packaged for shipment?
This blog is written by your friends at Vermont Woods Studios. Check out our Vermont made furniture and home decor online and visit our showroom and art gallery at Stonehurst, the newly restored 1800s farmhouse nestled in the foothills of the Green Mountains.