Shaker end tables have worldwide appeal, both as valued collectibles and as beautiful, unfussy pieces of furniture that go with anything in the home.
Introduced over 200 years ago by the Shaker religious sect, this unfrilly furniture style has a truly timeless quality that makes sense for any style of home. Shaker end tables can accent your couch or other living room furniture with chic simplicity, and while they are not bold furniture designs, they make the perfect complementary pieces for your rustic or modern living room. Place your books, artwork, and most prized family photos atop your Shaker end table for a stylish, comfortable look. Mix and match your shaker end tables for a more eclectic aesthetic.
Shaker end tables are light and airy, evoking a warm, country feel in any space they occupy. Traditionally, “country” style decor and furniture is sometimes seen as overly cluttered. The modern minimalism of Shaker end tables, however, is far from cluttered! Shaker style furniture is charactarized by its clean build, unassuming lines, and tapered leg shape. It’s beautiful in its simplicity and in its rich centuries old heritage.
Shaker end tables are some of the most versatile styles for your living room. So if you don’t feel comfortable committing to a certain style, this is the perfect type for you. Switch your styles around as much as you like and your Shaker end table will still look just as wonderful beside your couch or comfy living room chair.
What do you think, would you add a Shaker end table to your living room space? If not, what style do you like better?
Shaker beds have been a specialty of Vermont furniture makers for over 200 years and they remain popular today. I was helping a customer work through the process of finding the perfect Shaker bed yesterday and realized it’s not so easy. We have almost 20 different shaker beds in our online furniture store. All are top quality, 100% American made (handcrafted right here in Vermont) using responsibly harvested, real solid wood.
After looking at our Top 10 Shaker beds and all the different variations in design, we came up with a few subcategories that might make shopping easier for those looking for a particular style:
Traditional Shaker Beds
Four Poster Shaker Beds
Shaker Panel Beds
Shaker Sleigh Beds
You’ve probably noticed that these beds are all shown in solid cherry wood, which has a rich reddish brown color (once it has “ripened” after exposure to light). Cherry is by far the most popular wood for our customers when ordering Shaker furniture. However all of our Shaker beds are also available in three other woods: maple, walnut and oak. Some customers even like to mix two woods together like the Sarah Shaker beds below (shown in maple and walnut).
Two Tone Shaker Beds
Hopefully this makes shopping for your new Shaker bedroom furniture a little easier. Questions? Come visit us at Stonehurst our new fine furniture and art gallery or contact us through our live chat, email, Facebook or phone.
1. New England Shaker 8/10 Drawer Dresser: This traditional 8/10-drawer New England Shaker Dresser will add beauty, style and functionality to your bedroom. It’s sleek lines and simplistic design make it a perfect piece for the tastes of both husband and wife–not overly masculine or feminine! The two top drawers have internal dividers and a saw kerf on the drawer fronts that give the appearance of separate drawers.
2. New England Shaker Bed: Our New England Shaker bed is true to authentic Shaker style and design, with soft arches and understated features. With this handcrafted bed there is no need to worry about your furniture going out of style–Shaker furniture has been held in high regards since the 1700s, and is still one of the top furniture styles! Pair with your favorite bedding and comfy pillows, and you’ll find yourself not wanting to get out of this beautiful Shaker bed.
3. New England Shaker Dressing Stool: The New England Shaker Dressing Stool is an ideal accessory furniture piece for the bedroom. It’s super versatile and can be used as an accent to your bed or dressing table–or for relaxing while you put on your makeup in the morning. It’s very comfortable, and features an elegant tapered leg, true to Shaker designs.
4. High-End Shaker Full Length Armoire: This luxurious solid wood Shaker Armoire is an elegant, sophisticated piece for the bedroom. It’s functionality in combination with its unique, high end aesthetic make it an ideal piece for those looking for additional storage and style in their space.
5. New England Shaker Lamp Table: This table is an essential piece for the bedroom. Whether its actually used for holding your lighting, or for your books, plants, & other items that there seems to be no other place for, its a stylishly useful furniture piece that would fit well in most bedrooms!
If you were re-decorating your bedroom and could only choose one of these furniture designs– which would you pick? Let us know on our Facebook page, or in the comments section! 🙂
We’re in the middle of a Shaker furniture sale and I can’t help but notice that almost all the pieces customers have bought have been of a single wood species. We offer a choice of four woods on most of our furniture: maple, cherry, oak and walnut. Which one do you think is the favorite?
Back in the 19 century, the original Shakers built their furniture with woods harvested from their own land. According to Nancy Fischer of BuildDirectBlog, “In the east, this included pine, maple, ash, birch, cherry, hickory and butternut. In the west, walnut, cherry, beech and poplar were used”.
Today’s most popular wood (amongst our customers, anyway) for Shaker furniture is indeed one of those nine woods used 150 years ago. Hint: it’s the wood shown in the photo. OK, it’s cherry wood. I’m not sure why cherry has stormed itself to the top of the best seller list so forcefully but it is a beautiful wood. Woodworkers love it because it’s easy to work with, stains and finishes well with natural oil, and ages beautifully.
Customers love cherry’s clean grain and reddish-brown color that develops a rich patina over time. The fact that cherry wood lasts forever (as demonstrated by some of the valuable antique Shaker furniture originating in Vermont and New England) doesn’t hurt either.
Which wood do you like best for Shaker style furniture? Let us know on our Facebook or comment below.