April 14th, 2014 by Kelsey Eaton
Your porch or patio is a great place to entertain guests, dine, and relax with your friends and family. Even a simple backyard can be transformed into a beautiful secondary living space when designed well! Simple upgrades in your outdoor furniture, lighting, and decor can turn your space from plain to inspiring in no time!
1. Think about what you use your space for, or what you want to use your space for the most in the future. Do you want it to be a relaxing place for your family? A place to entertain friends and host parties? A nice spot to spend time alone and read? Think about what you envision the space being. This will dictate the decisions you make about your outdoor furniture & decor.
2. Draw out your space. Measuring your space is imperative in buying outdoor furniture because you need to know the exact amount of space you have available before you start buying. Go out to your space and analyze what the typical traffic patterns will be. Do you need a lot of room for people to walk around? Take notes on highly trafficked areas you’d like to keep clear.
3. Browse Pinterest & other inspiration sites for all of the elements you’d like to see on your patio space. Think about food– do you need a grill, decorative wood serving bowls, or dining tables & chairs? How about your lighting–candles are always a great option for a romantic and dreamy outdoor space. Hanging string lights are festive and bring life into the space. Get a piece of paper, browse Pinterest & take note of all of the different things you love about porch and patio decor.
4. Consider the climate. Will your outdoor furniture & decor need to be weather resistant? If your patio furniture will be exposed to harsh heat, cold, winds, rain, etc… you might want to consider products that are maintenance free and can survive throughout even the most severe weather conditions! Do a little browsing online and you’ll find great outdoor rugs to keep the floor looking stylish and resistant to the weather too! If your furniture, rugs, etc, will be exposed to rain and wetness, don’t use any fabrics that will mold or decay over time!
5. Colors. Choose color schemes that bring out the personality of your space and your home! We love the bright blue of this ultra modern outdoor furniture set–accented by the blue water of the pool. Think about your space and the feeling you want your porch or patio to give your guests, and find colorful furniture and decor to match it! Browse Pinterest for inspiration.
Stay tuned for more updates on the perfect outdoor furniture style for you & your space!
This blog is written by your friends at Vermont Woods Studios. Check out our Vermont made furniture and home decor online and visit our showroom and art gallery at Stonehurst, the newly restored 1800s farmhouse nestled in the foothills of the Green Mountains.
January 13th, 2013 by Kelsey Eaton
With unseasonably warm weather in Vermont for the past few days, I have found myself longing for summertime. On top of the weather having me think that summer is around the corner, I have also been fully immersed in Polywood Outdoor Furniture.
If you’re new to our blog or company, let me introduce you to Polywood. It is our only line of furniture that is not made of hardwood, and for good reason. Most of the outdoor furniture you see at other stores are made from teak, redwood, or cedar, because they can withstand some outdoor conditions. However, there is a better material that outdoor furniture can be made out of, and that’s recycled plastic lumber. It replicates the texture (minus the wood splinters) and beauty of real wood, but is more durable to withstand harsh weather conditions.
We normally don’t go around promoting wood alternative furniture (we are Vermont Woods Studios, afterall), but there really isn’t anything better than Polywood Outdoor Furniture. Not only can it withstand extreme weather conditions (including snow), but there is virtually no maintenance. With wood outdoor furniture, you need to reapply protective overcoats, stains, or paint, none of which you have to do to Polywood.
This week Vermont Woods Studios has been busy putting up the new 2013 Polywood pieces, sets, and collections. Polywood Outdoor Furniture Sets are brand new in 2013!
A new collection that we have added is the Polywood Coastal Outdoor Furniture. This exciting new collection is very different from our other collections of Polywood. Unique to this collection is the sling fabric chairs. The sling fabric conforms to your body with firm support. These chairs will be especially nice in the summertime, because the sling fabric allows the chairs to breathe, which means you won’t stick to them on a hot July day! The frames of the chairs are made in your choice of 7 Polywood recycled plastic lumber colors. The collection is comprised of four chairs and three outdoor furniture sets. There is the Coastal Folding Chair, Coastal Dining Chair, Coastal Counter Chair, and the Coastal Bar Chair. The new outdoor furniture sets include the Coastal 3-Piece Bar Set, Coastal 7-Piece Dining Set, and the Coastal 5-Piece Dining Set.
As you browse through our online gallery, all of our new Polywood furniture pieces will be marked by a red “NEW” sticker, like our new South Beach Ultimate Adirondack with Hideaway Ottoman and Euro SOLID Chaise.
What do you think? Will you be adding Polywood to your patio or deck this year?
June 13th, 2011 by Peggy Farabaugh
OK– we introduced our new line of Polywood recycled plastic outdoor patio furniture this Spring. Unlike our solid wood furniture, Polywood furniture is shipped in a box via UPS and it must be assembled by our customers.
Several customers have asked how difficult it is to assemble the polywood pieces and we wanted to respond to that. It's actually pretty easy but we didn't want to put people to sleep with a boring show of Ken with a screw gun traipsing through the step-by-step instructions.
So we decided to buy an Adirondack chair for each staff member and have a race to see who could assemble their chair the fastest. We filmed it and are hoping it will at least be a mildly amusing way to convey the basics of assembling Polywood furniture. Check it out for me. It's definitely a goofy video, but the truth is… we get that way sometimes. OUR FUNNY POLYWOOD ASSEMBLY INSTRUCTIONS VIDEO.