1. Custom Decor: Bold one of a kind pieces are going to be big this year. From unique colorful flea market finds to bold custom furniture pieces–this years interior decor trends might have people asking, “Wow… where did you get that from?!”
2. No more sandy, neutral colors. As mentioned in #1– 2014 interior decor style is going to be defined by color! Pair your wood furniture with bright pillows, lamps, vases, or other decor!
3. Minimalism. Avoid cluttered decor and go for a simplified, sleek look with most of the “drama” in the room coming from bold statement pieces and small colorful accents.
4. Sustainability. Each year, sustainability becomes a more important aspect of interior design. In 2014, this is truer than ever. Furniture and decor made at giant factory warehouses overseas don’t bring in the positive, warm energy that you will get when purchasing furnishings and decor items from small businesses with locally sourced products.
5. Outdoor spaces. While it might not not be the best weather right now (depending on where you are), outdoor decor for summer 2014 will place emphasis on well designed conversation spaces. Meaning that your outdoor decor should be arranged in a way that evokes conversation and bonding between those who enter your space!
All of the interior design trends featured in this post can be mixed and transformed to suit your own personal decor aesthetic and taste. Whether you’re a modern decor lover or someone who is strictly traditional, keep your eyes peeled for these trends as they’ll be popping up all over the place in the next 12 months!
This blog is written by your friends at Vermont Woods Studios. Check out our Vermont made furniture and home decor online and visit our showroom and art gallery at Stonehurst, the newly restored 1800s farmhouse nestled in the foothills of the Green Mountains.