More and more customers are contacting us these days looking for non-toxic, natural furniture. For some people natural products are just an integral part of their lifestyle while others are trying to cope with newly-identified sensitivities and allergies they are tracing back to home furnishings and flooring.
I thought it might be helpful to list some of the questions one should ask when purchasing natural eco furniture:
- What type of wood is used?
- Where does the wood come from?
- How is the wood processed? Are chemicals used in processing? What kind of chemicals?
- What type of finish and/or stain is used? Is it a low VOC or no VOC finish-stain? Can you supply an MSDS (material safety data sheet) for the finish?
- What type of glue is used? Is it non-toxic? Does it contain formaldehyde? MSDS available?
- Where is the furniture made and by whom?
- How is the furniture packaged for shipment?