In a past life when I worked for GE, training US Navy personnel, we used to joke about what recruiters had told the guys to get them to sign up for service: “You too can work weekends, nights and holidays…”
Why am I remembering those words today as we’re recruiting for a new Assistant Webmaster position at Vermont Woods Studios Fine Furniture? It’s a fun job (well I think so anyway) but it’s definitely a tough job. OK, for anyone thinking they might be interested: Full Disclosure. Here is the down side (a partial list follows):
- On the surface it’s a 40 hour/week job but you will be thinking about this job after you leave the office. In the car, at the gym, in the grocery store. We’re a small group trying to do the impossible, against all odds (think about it– selling fine furniture online?) so we’re always searching for new and better ideas. Unfortunately, it’s contagious.
- As the newest person in the group, you’ll be stuck doing a lot of things no one else wants to do. Adding new products to the website, photo shopping images, diagnosing and fixing website glitches and such.
- The pay is lousy and we’re only just now getting to the point where we’re improving our benefits package to include health insurance and more paid time off.
- We’re always doing some crazy project, like building bird houses or sponsoring a Made in America Christmas Shopping challenge and you have to be in photos of the event that go up on our blog and could possibly turn up elsewhere — who knows?
- As I said, this is only a partial list
But then again on the plus side, you’ll be working with some pretty interesting and clever characters who are on a mission to change the world (as much as we can, anyway). We’re partnering with some of Vermont’s best furniture makers to bring their high quality, sustainable wooden furniture to families all across America through the power of the Internet. And through this sustainable furniture we’re raising awareness about where your furniture comes from.
We do have a few other advantages besides working with fabulous people towards an environmental mission. Soon we’ll be moving our offices to a newly renovated 200 year old historic farm house on the grounds of a former Vermont ski area called Stonehurst. Ski break during lunch, anyone? Plus we’re looking forward to a year of exciting change and continued growth ahead, which will benefit our staff in many ways (we’ve been roughly doubling our size for the past 4 years). Regarding specifics to this job, the best advantage there– is that you’ll get to work for Neville Kerr who is the smartest website guy I know. Getting trained by Neville is a huge benefit. The two of you will be leading our company into adventurous new territory.
If you haven’t navigated back to Monster.com or Craigslist for continued job searching yet, have a look at the posting for this Assistant Webmaster job. Check out the rest of our blog and Facebook for more insight into this small, but growing company.
Already following our Blog? For more info sign up for our e-newsletter
This blog is written by your friends at Vermont Woods Studios. Check out our Vermont made furniture and home decor online and visit our showroom and art gallery at Stonehurst, the newly restored 1800s farmhouse nestled in the foothills of the Green Mountains.