Back in September of 2006, Vermont Woods Studios was fortunate to be able to join with a small group of visionary leaders in today's furniture industry in developing the foundation for the Sustainable Furniture Council. Since then, this non-profit organization has grown rapidly and has tasked itself with promoting sustainable practices world-wide, among furniture manufacturers, retailers, and
consumers alike. Members of the SFC pledge their commitment to the following best practices agreement:
commit to supporting the organization in affecting positive change. We
understand the importance of the triple bottom line profit assessment of
PEOPLE-PLANET-PROFITS representing a healthy balance between social equity,
environmental concerns and local economies.
We seek continual improvement in our products, practices and operations, and
commit to the SFC’s Core Values as summarized:
1. We seek legally-logged wood from vendors who have a verifiable chain of
2. We reduce unsustainable raw resources and known toxic substances in all
phases of our business
3. We recycle in our operations, purchase recycled content and create
4. We reduce and reuse packing/packaging materials and reduce transportation
5. We learn about Life Cycle Analysis as the best measure of a product’s
6. We educate our customers on sustainability and supply them with
7. We partner with our employees in making choices for sustainability,
including personal and company energy reductions, paying a Living Wage, and
maintaining high safety standards
8. We contribute to the economic and environmental health of our local and
This confirms our commitment to advancing sustainable practices throughout
the home furnishings industry.
Prior to making your next furniture purchase, check with your retailer to see if they are members of the SFC. If not, ask them to join. The solution starts with each one of us.