July 24th, 2013 by Kelsey Eaton
Keeping your home neat and organized can be pretty hard, especially in rooms that might not have a ton of space, but don’t fret, there is hope! With a little research and visual inspiration, I’ve compiled a list of 5 great ways to maximize space in your home. Even if your space is on the smaller, cozier side–there’s something for you!
1. Baskets. Baskets are a great way to save space in your home. Whether you are hanging them, putting them on the stairs, inside of a bookcase or hutch, or just keeping them on the floor– using baskets for storage is always a stylish and crafty solution to keep organized and utilize your space. What I love most about woven baskets is that they have a traditional country, rustic look that never goes out of “style” and is suitable for most home designs! Use baskets for kitchen organization (dishtowels, napkins, etc), for organization in the bedroom, or for any room in the home really!
2. Storage Beds. Storage beds are gaining a lot of popularity right now, and I get it. They are the perfect blend of form and function– sleek, efficient, and super helpful when it comes to storing those bedroom items that you might not have a clue where else to store! Store your socks in them, store your towels, bathing suits, old books, etc. Storage beds come in all sorts of different styles, and there is sure to be one to fit the aesthetic of any bedroom.
3. Use the wall. Rather than stuffing your cabinets full of pots and pans–hang them on the walls! Shakers would traditionally use the walls for most of their storage to create more space in the house, and it worked. Sometimes we overlook our walls as a place that can be used functionally as well as for decor. Whether you are hanging things with hooks (pans, big silverware, office supplies like scissors, etc) or using shelving, analyze your space from top to bottom when you are seeking extra space.
4. Trunks & Chests. Trunks and Chests are super versatile, as they can be used in practically any room of the home! From a bedside table, to a coffee table, to storage at the bottom of your bed… they are are an ideal storage solution for any space. Trunks are the vintage inspired older cousin of the traditional blanket chest, adding a shabby chic vibe to the home. The traditional solid wood chest is perfect for those with a more simple aesthetic taste, but still has the wonderful versatility of the trunk!
5. Shaker Boxes. Already a fan of the Shaker Style? If so, then the shaker boxes are an ideal storage solution for you. Not only are they great for looks alone, but they can be stacked on top of eachother and used to keep smaller household items such as stamps, post it notes, paper clips, etc!
If you feel like any of these ideas have inspired you (or if you have any more suggestions to add), feel free to let us know on Facebook! We’d also like to remind you to be conscious of where your home furnishings and decor pieces come from when you shop. Make sure that the pieces you buy aren’t negatively impacting the environment! Until next time, thanks for reading and have a great day!