In contrast to all that holiday shopping madness, today we have Small Business Saturday. It’s a day to re-discover your local merchants and the character and richness they add to your community. They may not be able to beat the lowest prices you’ll find online but there’s an unmeasured value in their goods and services. How much is it worth to you to have a beautiful downtown? A local economy? Jobs for your friends and family? In Vermont it’s worth a lot. So we’ve come up with a list of the Top 10 Reasons to Shop Locally at your favorite downtown, mall or rural shopping outpost (like Stonehurst):
- Take the kids to see Santa – you can’t do that online
- Enjoy the Christmas and Hanukkah lights
- Take a rest at an art gallery or book store that has a cafe
- Find unique jewelry ceramics, glassware and other handmade gifts
- Buy local food delicacies and eat free samples!
- Listen to the Christmas carolers and bands
- Bump into your friends and catch up on the neighborhood gossip
- Relax and enjoy lunch and a glass of wine with your shopping buddy
- Order local specialty items you can’t find online
- Support your local community so it continues to be a great place to live
Have more of you own? Let us know on Facebook before you head downtown.
This blog is written by your friends at Vermont Woods Studios. Check out our Vermont made furniture and home decor online and visit our showroom and art gallery at Stonehurst, the newly restored 1800s farmhouse nestled in the foothills of the Green Mountains.