Cherry Shaker Furniture is a Staple of the Traditional New England Home
In any traditionally inspired New England home you are sure to find handcrafted Cherry wood furniture. Shaker furniture in particular has been a favorite style for decades, and there’s no end to this trend in sight. The elegant look of Cherry wood combined with the simplicity of Shaker furniture creates a truly timeless match. Cherry Shaker furniture is versatile, elegant, and the perfect addition to any traditional home. No matter where you live, this furniture style will give your space the feeling of a classic New England home.
Cherry Shaker furniture will work with any color scheme, and as seen in the photo above, looks marvelous with shades of green. No matter the color of your room, Shaker furniture in Cherry wood will help you create a look that is comfortable yet polished. Built for function but never lacking in chic Shaker style.
Your master bedroom will look charming and New England inspired with our finely crafted Cherry Shaker furniture. Unadorned and subtle, you could live in the city and still feel like you are waking up in a rural Vermont farmhouse.
Share meals with your closest friends and family around Vermont crafted Shaker tables and chairs that are inspired by a 200+ year heritage of Yankee woodworking. Cherry Shaker furniture is durable and makes the perfect base for your traditionally inspired dining space.
2014 was a great year for us at Vermont Woods Studios. Through lots of trial and error and experimentation, we ended up in a great place and look forward to another year of growth! We’ve learned so much that we couldn’t possibly list it all, but here are 10 wonderful things we learned this year:
1. How to transform a lost ski area into a beautiful showcase for Vermont made furniture, artwork and home decor. It was our first full year at Stonehurst, the marvelous property we call home. We couldn’t be happier with how well it was received by our guests, and we eagerly await even more visitors in 2015!
2. How to build a set to take professional photos of our furniture. Nina & Dennis spent a great amount of time and energy getting crafty and making sets for photoshoots. With Nina’s photoshop wizardry, dusty old storage areas and garages transform into quaint living spaces perfect for furniture photos!
3. How to keep woodchucks out of our flower garden using aluminum pie plates. As you can see in the photo above, our showroom sees frequent visitors from the forest! Unfortunately, they are big fans of our gardens so we’ve learned creative ways of humanely keeping them at a safe distance!
4. How to harvest wood to sustainably heat our showroom. Our student interns (Douglas & Peggy’s kids) had a busy summer stacking 40 cords of firewood sourced from fallen trees around Stonehurst!
5. Never lose hope. We were a little disheartened about not seeing any Monarchs in our butterfly garden this year, but just as we started planning our 2015 Monarch conservation efforts, a symbol of hope arrived! We worked together to plant and share milkweed throughout our community and are excited to continue with this project through the new year.
6. Handcrafted wood furniture deserves beautiful decor accessories to go with it. Our natural wood furniture is simple and beautiful on it’s own, but handcrafted Vermont made decor adds another layer of richness that we can’t help but love.
7. Our furniture looks great in big houses and “tiny houses” alike! Earlier in the year we provided a POLYWOOD La Casa Dining Set to Tiny House Nation, a show that celebrates the innovation and creativity of Tiny Houses and the people who inhabit them!
8.Nothing feels better than giving back to the community. We made it a priority to give back to our community this year– from donating food for a community Thanksgiving dinner, to participating in Vermont’s ‘Green up Day’ and more! Our whole team took part in our charitable activities and look forward to another great year of giving.
9. Nature makes a great backdrop for photos. Our previous ‘our team‘ page featured each of us on white backgrounds, making us look like our heads were floating in space! We learned that we look much better in a natural setting, surrounded by things we cherish (trees!)
10. Appreciate the seasons while they last. We are lucky to live in New England, a place where each season is bold, beautiful, and transformative! The freshness of Spring, the relaxed nature of Summer, the crisp air of the Fall, and the reflective state of Winter are things we’ve grown to love. At Stonehurst, we get to see the uniqueness of each season as the year passes and we have learned to love and appreciate all of them while they are here.
I hope you have enjoyed reading about some of the things we learned in 2014, and we look forward to another great year ahead! Best wishes for a Happy New Year!
Clean lines, simple ornamentation, and sturdy wooden frames are the primary distinguishable features of Mission Style Bedroom Furniture. This furniture style focuses on the inherent quality of the design, the natural beauty of the materials, and a build that is made to last for generations.
In the early 1900s, Mission style furniture was created as a reaction to the industrial revolution and the ways in which it devalued the individual worker. The bold lines and sturdy, unadorned wooden base contrasted greatly against the frilly, ornate aesthetic of the mass produced designs of the Victorian era.
Mission Style emphasizes simple horizontal and vertical lines and flat panels that accentuate the wood grain, and is most commonly crafted in Oak with a stain finish. There is little or no decoration, though the joinery is often given a darker stain to emphasize the expert construction.
While Mission Style furniture was created as a design movement that rejected low quality, mass produced pieces, eventually Mission style was mass produced just like its predecessors, and low-quality Mission furniture was soon found everywhere.
At Vermont Woods Studios, however, our Mission Style furniture is still built with the quality and integrity that Mission Style has long represented. A focus on real quality craftmanship, built by real expert Vermont artisans.
Why bring Mission Style Bedroom Furniture into your home?
As mentioned previously, Mission Style bedroom furniture is masterfully crafted to be sturdy, simple, and inherently striking. It’s perfect for a bedroom because (like all of our furniture) it’s built for a lifetime of use and if you like sleeping as much as I do, your bed gets a ton of wear over the years. You’re going to want something functional, simplistic, and built for real use.
Is Mission Style furniture bedroom furniture right for you? Check out our collections of mission furniture or contact one of our friendly fine furniture specialists to talk about crafting a custom mission style bedroom furniture piece just for you.
From all of us at Vermont Woods Studios, we’d like to wish you a very Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and a new year filled with health, prosperity, and happiness! Thank you so much for your continued support of our business and our mission! It’s been a great year!