This Memorial Day weekend we pause to honor our nation's military heroes who have made the ultimate sacrifice in their service to our country. For those of us lucky enough to be removed from the pain and suffering of our country's wars– I think it's hard to understand the hardships that others take on our behalf. So on Memorial Day we set aside special time to do that. Here are some ideas for honoring our military heroes, as offered by Lisa Dietlin of the Huffington Post:
- Participate in the National Moment of Remembrance: one minute of silence that occurs at 3:00 p.m. local time on Memorial Day
- Visit a cemetery and read the headstones of those who have died for our freedom
- Attend the Memorial Day parade in your community
- Fly the American flag in front of your home
- Make a charitable donation to a nonprofit doing work with veterans, such as the Wounded Warrior Project or the Gary Sinise Foundation
Fellow Vermonters, you can find the schedule of Vermont Memorial Day parades here.
This blog is written by your friends at Vermont Woods Studios. Check out our Vermont made furniture and home decor online and visit our showroom and art gallery at Stonehurst, the newly restored 1800s farmhouse nestled in the foothills of the Green Mountains.