January 18th, 2009 by Peggy Farabaugh
Today I received my monthly newsletter from the World Wildlife Fund WWF
, a global non-profit that works to protect endangered species and the communities they live in. Very often, these communities are forests, particularly rainforests. Being wood furniture makers, at Vermont Woods Studios
we see one of our fundamental missions as working to preserve the world's forests. We've written extensively about the direct link between rainforest devastation and global warming and have disucssed facts like these:
- 54 of the world's 193 countries have lost 90 percent or more of their forest cover.
- Rainforests that once covered 14% of the earth's land surface now cover a mere 6% and experts estimate that the last remaining rainforests could be consumed in less than 40 years.
- 1.5 acres of rainforest are lost every second (that equates to 50 million acres a year: an area the size of England, Wales and Scotland combined)
- Nearly half of the world's species of plants, animals and microorganisms will be destroyed or severely threatened over the next 25 years due to rainforest deforestation.
- We are losing approximately 137 plant, animal and insect species every single day due to rainforest deforestation. That equates to 50,000 species a year.
We support the WWF
as they work with local, indigenous peoples around the world to save endangered species and habitats through community-based projects and solutions. A portion of every purchase at Vermont Woods Studios
is donated to WWF
. Check out their website. They have great gifts in the form of endangered Animal adoptions
and global crafts and such. You just might find the perfect Valentine's gift
for your sweetheart.
Leave a Reply