Custom wood furniture is an investment and just like any other investment (stocks, bonds, real estate) you’ll want to do plenty of research prior to making any decisions. You’ll need to know all the standard who, what, when, where, whys and hows of your furniture-making:
- Who is the craftsperson or persons building your furniture?
- What type of woods and finishes are available?
- Where will the furniture be built? For example, in a large factory in China or a small workshop in Vermont?
- When will your furniture be ready? How long will it take to design and craft?
- How will it be crafted? For example, using traditional methods of joinery, such as dovetailing and mortise and tenon? Or with nuts, bolts, screws and such?
Did you know that Vermont is home to some of the finest custom furniture makers in the world? For many of them, the craft has been passed down through their New England families for seven or eight generations. Others have come from all corners of the globe seeking inspiration not only from the natural landscape of the Green Mountain Forest but also from the vibrant community of world class woodworkers who call Vermont home.
You can meet nearly 50 of these talented craftspeople at the upcoming Vermont Fine Furniture and Woodworking Festival in Woodstock, VT Sept 26-27. Don’t miss it! You’ll be able to meet the artisans, see their work and discuss all your questions with them. I bet this will be one of your best investments yet and unlike stocks or bonds, this is one you can reap an immediate return of enjoyment from every day!
Visit our website at Vermont Woods Studios for a preview of some of the custom furniture you may see at the festival.
This blog is written by your friends at Vermont Woods Studios. Check out our Vermont made furniture and home decor online and visit our showroom and art gallery at Stonehurst, the newly restored 1800s farmhouse nestled in the foothills of the Green Mountains.