October 13th, 2013 by Kelsey Eaton
Besides leaf peeping, pumpkin picking, and cider drinking, Columbus Day Weekend is commonly associated with big deals and huge savings! The perfect way to kick off the chillier months of the year!
For 5 days you can save 15% storewide* on our American Made fine wood furniture, and receive free shipping!
Our Columbus Day Furniture Sale includes hundreds of timeless pieces of bedroom, dining room, living room, and home office furniture– all made with natural hardwood. Conveniently shop from your home this weekend on our online gallery, or give us a call at 888-390-5571 if you have any questions about our Vermont Made fine wood furniture.
*Sale does not include Copeland, Polywood, or Artisan.
October 12th, 2013 by Peggy Farabaugh
Hardwood furniture is experiencing a renaissance this year. It’s always been a classic, but over the years modern materials (metal, plastics, glass, wicker, rattan, bamboo, concrete) have become popular furniture components. Looking at today’s online home decor authorities such as Houzz and Apartment Therapy however, it seems real solid hardwood furniture is making a comeback! Here’s a run-down of the Top 5 Hardwood Furniture Style Trends we’ve seen at Vermont Woods Studios this year:
October 6th, 2013 by Peggy Farabaugh
Interior designers, home decorators and everyone who loves a simple, minimalist esthetic in the dining room: take notice of Copeland’s Audrey mid century modern dining set. We rolled out this popular collection in early summer, but at the time it was only available in walnut, a dark wood. Now it’s available in real solid cherry wood, a favorite among our customers.
Audrey has a simple, modern, utilitarian look but it’s elegant and sophisticated at the same time. The dining table has an “X” shaped trestle base that allows for lots of leg space. Customize the size online to accommodate small, medium or large dinner parties. Make your dining area more adaptable by choosing the Audrey Extension table. You’ll love the way the butterfly-style extra leaf self stores so easily under the table top.
Serious about selecting Copeland furniture for your green home? Check out the Top 10 Reasons to Buy Copeland Furniture at Vermont Woods Studios. Then Go Natural and Go Green! Copeland dining furniture is built to order in Bradford, Vermont from eco-friendly sustainably harvested wood.
October 5th, 2013 by Michelle Rooks
I’m about to out myself as an old-timer. When I was in Junior High most girls took a class called Home Economics. We learned cooking and sewing skills and actually got tested on the proper way to set a table. I have never forgotten the basics of casual dining place setting: Fork on the napkin to the left of the plate, knife and spoon to the right of the plate, with the knife closest and its blade facing the plate. A drinking glass would be above and to the right of the dinner plate. I admit I don’t often practice these skills. In our house we pretty much grab a handful of knives and forks and divvy them up at the table. I picture the Vermont Tavern Table as the perfect place for the family to gather and talk about their day.
If you want to invite a couple of friends to join you for dinner, you may want to kick it up a notch. That brings us to the informal place setting. In addition to the items found in casual dining place setting you may find a bread plate, an additional glass, a salad fork, and possibly a soup spoon. I think the Cherry Moon dining table would be the just the thing for a gathering of close friends.
For a more formal gathering, place setting can be much more involved. There are water and wine glasses and, for truly elegant dinner parties, enough silverware to ready a small army. These can include fish, dinner, salad, cake and cocktail forks, dinner and butter knives, teaspoon, soup and dessert spoons. Add to all of that a charger (a decorative plate slightly larger than a dinner plate), dinner, salad and bread plates and you’re going to need a lot of real estate to hold it all. My choice would be the Vermont-Made Shaker with a boat top. It just gives a vibe of elegance to me.
Place setting has become a bit of an art form. While there are “standard” placements for items, these days you can be much more creative. Add a favor for each guest, create your own napkin rings and place cards or learn napkin folding techniques. Add different levels of candles and some flowers, gourds, or other seasonal items to make an aesthetically pleasing centerpiece. Your table should be a reflection of your own style.
September 27th, 2013 by Kelsey Eaton
Want to take advantage of our awesome bedroom furniture sale, but aren’t sure to start? Start by defining your bedroom style! Decor styles can range from traditional to ultra sleek and modern, so lets talk a little bit about the defining characteristics of 3 popular styles!
1) Modern- Clean lines, bold geometric shapes, dramatic in its simplicity. Perfect for an upscale modern home or city apartment. For modern bedroom furniture designs, try the Cherry Moon Platform Bed or the Brandon Bed.
2) Organic- Natural, Reclaimed, and Live Edge are words you’d likely associate with an organic bedroom furniture style. This style allows you to bring a little piece of nature into your home, with a chic and eclectic look. These furniture pieces reveal the true beauty of the wood. Loving the sound of organic style? Check out the Reclaimed Wood Platform Bed and the Live Edge Bed!
3. Shaker- Shaker Furniture is one of the most popular styles of furniture. It’s known for its simplicity, usability, and exceptional craftsmanship. Shaker furniture is perfect for those who follow the belief that less is more! If you love Shaker furniture style, try the Renfrew, New England, or Classic Shaker furniture collections.
Modern Furniture, Organic or Live Edge Furniture, and Shaker Furniture are 3 popular bedroom decor styles that frequent the pages of popular interior design and decor blogs around the web. We adore these styles for their timelessness and simple elegance.
If you’re feeling a particular style, now is the perfect time to buy! With our bedroom furniture sale, you can save up to 20% on beautiful heirloom quality furniture pieces! Save 10% if you buy one piece, 15% if you buy two pieces, and 20% if you buy three or more pieces! Plus, free shipping and a lifetime guarantee!
Please note that Copeland, Barnwood, and Artisan furniture pieces are not eligible for this sale.
September 25th, 2013 by Kelsey Eaton
Sometimes it’s the details that really make the design. While some furniture pieces are defined by their clean, straight lines… others are characterized by their delicate edges and curves. “Curvy” furniture pieces have an undeniable aesthetic appeal, because even the most subtle arches can take a normal piece of furniture and give it an element of whimsy and uniqueness. The following 5 wood tables have chic, attention grabbing curves that are sure to make a beautiful focus piece for any space.
1. The Modern Contemporary Trestle Table features an organic live edge top, highlighting the natural curves of the wood. The contrast between the clean lines of the legs and the shapeliness of the top create a beautifully modern piece fit for any home looking to add a bit of organic flair to their home decor.
2. The Cherry Blossom Double Pedestal Table is a truly artistic piece, with two elegant pedestal bases and striking curved, arching legs. Click the photo to see this table with a Mahogany cherry stain, giving it an even more captivating, dramatic look.
3. Our solid wood French Country Coffee Table is the perfect addition to any high end living room, den, or study. The subtle but elegant curved legs go beyond the standard coffee table design, giving you a charming, luxurious piece!
4. Our Duncan-Phyfe Round Extension Dining Table features a modern adaptation of the claw foot, giving it a dramatically elegant look. It can be extended into a larger, oval shaped table, leaving plenty of leg room for your family or guests. The smooth arches of the legs are what give this table its timelessly stylish appeal.
5. The Audrey Solid Top Dining Table features elegant lines in its rectangular table top, and a trestle base with dynamic double ‘X’ legs. The unique arches in the legs make this an ideal piece for anyone with a modern eclectic taste, or for someone adding to add something a little less traditional to their furnishings. This smooth, geometric design is sure to be an attention grabber in any room.
September 21st, 2013 by Peggy Farabaugh
Mary’s M’s cherry dining furniture (shown above) was made in Vermont (a relatively humid place, especially in the summer) and shipped to the desert of Arizona. Since we ship a lot of Vermont made wood furniture to desert locales in California, Texas, Arizona, Nevada and elsewhere, I thought I’d post a few tips on humidity and climate control.
When wood is part of a living tree, water moves up the trunk, from the ground and through the pores and fibers of the wood, as it travels out to the leaves. After a tree is cut and sawn into lumber, water continues to move back and forth through the wood fibers until the wood’s moisture level reaches equilibrium with its environment.
The job of woodworkers is to design and build furniture with a thorough understanding of the characteristics of wood movement. But in spite of their advanced knowledge and skills, no woodworker is able to create wood furniture that is completely unresponsive to temperature and humidity in your home. So here are a few climate control tips from our Furniture Care section to ensure that your wood furniture will remain beautiful and structurally sound for generations of enjoyment.
Normally if you’re comfortable with the temperature and humidity in your home, your wood furniture will be comfortable as well. It’s designed to be durable and to accommodate normal changes in climate so most homeowners need not worry. Relax and enjoy it. Given reasonably good care your wood furniture will last for generations.
September 20th, 2013 by Kelsey Eaton
If you’ve had beautiful American made dining room furniture on your mind, now is the perfect time to buy! Fall is the always an ideal time to make your space exactly the way you want it, starting with your furnishings. With our Dining Room Furniture Sale, the more you buy means the more you’ll save! Purchase 1 piece of qualifying furniture and save 10%, buy 2 pieces and save 15%, or buy 3 pieces and save 20%. Plus, receive free shipping and a lifetime guarantee.
Vermont Woods Studios furniture is traditionally crafted in New England, by talented woodworkers who have been creating heirloom quality furniture for decades. As always, your satisfaction is our ultimate priority. Read some customer reviews to see why we have a 98% customer satisfaction rating!
Order securely in our online store, or contact us at (888) 390-5571. Hurry, this sale ends on September 26th!
Not sure if you’re ready to buy? Gather some inspiration and save it to your dining furniture Pinterest board!
* Sale does not include Copeland, Polywood, or Artisan.
September 18th, 2013 by Peggy Farabaugh
After a stressful day at the office who doesn’t want to come home and melt into a comfortable cradle, drifting off to sleep in style?
Copeland’s high end Monterey Bedroom Furniture Collection updates traditional Arts & Crafts style with a modern Japanese touch. The headboard is reminiscent of a Shinto shrine’s torii gate, an icon that represents the transition from the “profane to the sacred“. Such an appropriate analogy for the transition from your day of hard work into a night of peaceful slumber!
Handcrafted in real cherry hardwood, the Monterey Bedroom set is made to order and can be customized online in your choice of natural cherry, windsor cherry, autumn cherry, congnac cherry, saddle cherry and smoke cherry wood stain. The platform bed can also be customized with an upholstered headboard in your choice of 5 different microsuedes and 3 leathers.
Copeland also offers a Monterey platform storage bed which features four 8″ deep, under-bed storage drawers that provide plenty of stylish storage– now essential for small apartments. Nightstands are designed to allow easy access to the storage drawers– it’s great furniture for small spaces.
Learn more about the craftsmanship involved in building the Monterey bedroom collection in our construction details section.
September 16th, 2013 by Kelsey Eaton
The bedroom is said to be the sanctuary of the home; a relaxing, well designed place that reflects the personality of its inhabitants. Designing this space to fit with your contemporary style might seem daunting for those who don’t have a lot of interior design experience, but there are several simple steps you can take to create a truly modern bedroom design in a snap!
1. Furniture: When designing a modern bedroom, it’s important to choose furniture that fits with the style you are trying to achieve. Traditional furniture may throw off the modern aesthetic and create a disorganized look, while geometric furniture with clean lines and curves makes the perfect starting point. Choose simplistic, understated pieces with subtle curves and real wood. Avoid clunky, overbearing furniture! A truly “modern” room will have only the bare essentials when it comes to furniture… a bed, bedside table(s), a dresser, and a wardrobe/chest! Look for multi-functional pieces with hidden storage compartments!
2. Declutter. A modern bedroom is all about clean, literally and figuratively. When it comes to decor and furniture, less is more…think minimalist. Leave your floor space mostly open, this is very important! Decluttering a space involves keeping your color scheme simple as well! Don’t use a lot of mixed or clashing patterns. Go with neutral colors for most of the room, with brighter colors as statement pieces in your bedding or artistic decor.
4. Art & Decor. Not every person who loves modern design will have the same style of decor. However, there are some main themes to keep in mind when choosing decor for the room. Go with bold art pieces like handcrafted metal sculptures or other unique artisan pieces like blown glass and one of a kind paintings, but again, keep it minimalist. Choose statement pieces that bring together the rest of the room. 1-3 pieces of art max! Take a look at the Astrid bedroom set photo, that hanging branch is a perfect example of one unique piece setting the tone for the whole room.
5. Lighting. Lighting is an essential part of a modern room. It can be used to accentuate various focal parts of the space, from unique angles to your favorite decor pieces. Spotlights and simplistic floor lamps are great too! And when in doubt, use candles. Candles are an easy solution to creating dramatic but natural and chic lighting in the bedroom!
Fuse these 5 tips with your own personal style and flair, and your modern designed bedroom will come to life! Goodluck! And as always, we’re open to your own personal suggestions. What other tips or insight would you give to someone trying to create a modern space? Do you have a modern room that you’d like to share with us? Leave feedback in the comment section, or contact us on Facebook!