November 2nd, 2013 by Michelle Rooks
One of the most unique pieces of furniture we have in our showroom and one that gets a lot of attention at the Vermont Welcome Center is the Custom Quilted Vermont Rocking Chair. This is really a chair that needs to be seen in person to be fully appreciated. It is available on our web site in Natural Cherry, Birdseye Maple or Natural Walnut.
The first time I saw it I was reminded of the child’s toy Jacob’s Ladder. The Quilted Rocker is made up of dozens of smooth wood pieces strung together with nylon rope. The look is unique but the comfort is amazing. I had a knitter friend come to visit the showroom and her eyes lit up when she sat in it. “I could see myself doing a lot of knitting in this chair!”
Well, she wasn’t alone. On Halloween we had a visitor stop by just at closing time. “Gene Simmons” was equally impressed though he doesn’t really strike me as a knitter. Actually, that’s my usually mild-mannered husband, Chris, in one of his favorite costumes. And yes, he made it himself…er, the costume, not the chair.
Stop by and try the Custom Quilted Vermont Rocking Chair for yourself. We think you’ll agree it’s not only a conversation piece, it’s a place of comfort.
November 1st, 2013 by Kelsey Eaton
1. New England Shaker 8/10 Drawer Dresser: This traditional 8/10-drawer New England Shaker Dresser will add beauty, style and functionality to your bedroom. It’s sleek lines and simplistic design make it a perfect piece for the tastes of both husband and wife–not overly masculine or feminine! The two top drawers have internal dividers and a saw kerf on the drawer fronts that give the appearance of separate drawers.
2. New England Shaker Bed: Our New England Shaker bed is true to authentic Shaker style and design, with soft arches and understated features. With this handcrafted bed there is no need to worry about your furniture going out of style–Shaker furniture has been held in high regards since the 1700s, and is still one of the top furniture styles! Pair with your favorite bedding and comfy pillows, and you’ll find yourself not wanting to get out of this beautiful Shaker bed.
3. New England Shaker Dressing Stool: The New England Shaker Dressing Stool is an ideal accessory furniture piece for the bedroom. It’s super versatile and can be used as an accent to your bed or dressing table–or for relaxing while you put on your makeup in the morning. It’s very comfortable, and features an elegant tapered leg, true to Shaker designs.
4. High-End Shaker Full Length Armoire: This luxurious solid wood Shaker Armoire is an elegant, sophisticated piece for the bedroom. It’s functionality in combination with its unique, high end aesthetic make it an ideal piece for those looking for additional storage and style in their space.
5. New England Shaker Lamp Table: This table is an essential piece for the bedroom. Whether its actually used for holding your lighting, or for your books, plants, & other items that there seems to be no other place for, its a stylishly useful furniture piece that would fit well in most bedrooms!
If you were re-decorating your bedroom and could only choose one of these furniture designs– which would you pick? Let us know on our Facebook page, or in the comments section!
October 28th, 2013 by Peggy Farabaugh
Much of the bedroom furniture purchased here at Vermont Woods Studios is customized to meet specific style or dimensional criteria specified by our customers. Contrary to popular belief, custom bedroom furniture can be surprisingly affordable! Over the coming weeks I’ll share our Top 5 Tips for customizing hardwood furniture.
Here’s my #1 Tip and it applies to bedroom chests, dressers, armoires and night stands as well as any other case goods that have doors or drawers:
It sounds like a small change but it’s the quickest and easiest way to get a custom look for your furniture. Of course with some dressers and chests, the pulls are an integral part of the overall design. Our Cherry Moon and Modern American collections would be an example of this and you wouldn’t want to change pulls.
But many interior designers are taking a fresh look at Shaker and Mission style furniture and saying, “hey I can jazz this up and create a whole new style by changing the pulls.” You can find a variety of different pulls on our website and in our showroom at Stonehurst. Each of our independent workshops carries their own collection of pulls so if you’re ordering online you’ll want to give us a call to make sure we can match a given pull with the chest or dresser you’re interested in. You can also send us your own pulls and we’ll install them!
Stay tuned for more tips on how to customize your bedroom furniture easily and affordably. Next up: combining two contrasting wood tones (like maple and cherry) into a single piece.
October 25th, 2013 by Kelsey Eaton
Do you love Shaker furniture for its understated, elegant design? We do too! So if you’ve had your eye on particular Shaker furniture pieces, now is a perfect time to buy! All of our Shaker furniture* is currently on sale for either 10, 15, or 20 percent off depending on how much you buy! And our online gallery features over 200 pieces of Shaker inspired furniture, ranging from traditional to modern Shaker styles… so you are sure to find something to suit your decor style.
Shaker furniture has been praised for its simplistic style and usability since the 1700s, and our Vermont craftsmen have dedicated themselves to keeping the same functionally stylish and sturdy design in every piece of Shaker furniture they craft. The craftsmanship and style of these furniture pieces closely resembles the authentic Shaker furniture that has been around for hundreds of years!
With our buy more, save more Shaker sales event, you can save up to 20% on the Shaker furniture of your dreams. Take 10% off one piece, 15% off two pieces, and 20% off three or more piece. Plus, receive free shipping and a lifetime guarantee!
You can shop securely, easily, and conveniently from our online gallery. Or if you prefer contact us at 888-390-5571 to order by phone or discuss your questions about our Vermont Made Shaker furniture. Hurry! This Sale ends on Friday November 8th.
*Excludes Copeland, POLYWOOD®, Artisan & Barnwood.
October 21st, 2013 by Michelle Rooks
When you do put your books on a shelf, try not to be too uniform. Instinct may tell you to arrange books by size but it’s much more visually interesting if you mix it up a bit – not only by size but by color, texture and age as well. It’s OK to put your faded classic novels next to your book of contemporary art with the bright, shiny dust jacket.
Don’t skimp on your bookcase. It should be as much a show piece as the items it displays. Our solid wood bookcases are on sale until Thursday during our Home Office and Living Room Sale. Find the bookcase that’s perfect for you. You can go traditional with a Shaker or Cherry Moon style or something more contemporary like the ladder or New York styles. Most of our bookcases can be customized to your exact dimensions or you can add doors, lighting or extra shelves.
October 12th, 2013 by Peggy Farabaugh
Hardwood furniture is experiencing a renaissance this year. It’s always been a classic, but over the years modern materials (metal, plastics, glass, wicker, rattan, bamboo, concrete) have become popular furniture components. Looking at today’s online home decor authorities such as Houzz and Apartment Therapy however, it seems real solid hardwood furniture is making a comeback! Here’s a run-down of the Top 5 Hardwood Furniture Style Trends we’ve seen at Vermont Woods Studios this year:
October 6th, 2013 by Peggy Farabaugh
Interior designers, home decorators and everyone who loves a simple, minimalist esthetic in the dining room: take notice of Copeland’s Audrey mid century modern dining set. We rolled out this popular collection in early summer, but at the time it was only available in walnut, a dark wood. Now it’s available in real solid cherry wood, a favorite among our customers.
Audrey has a simple, modern, utilitarian look but it’s elegant and sophisticated at the same time. The dining table has an “X” shaped trestle base that allows for lots of leg space. Customize the size online to accommodate small, medium or large dinner parties. Make your dining area more adaptable by choosing the Audrey Extension table. You’ll love the way the butterfly-style extra leaf self stores so easily under the table top.
Serious about selecting Copeland furniture for your green home? Check out the Top 10 Reasons to Buy Copeland Furniture at Vermont Woods Studios. Then Go Natural and Go Green! Copeland dining furniture is built to order in Bradford, Vermont from eco-friendly sustainably harvested wood.
October 5th, 2013 by Michelle Rooks
I’m about to out myself as an old-timer. When I was in Junior High most girls took a class called Home Economics. We learned cooking and sewing skills and actually got tested on the proper way to set a table. I have never forgotten the basics of casual dining place setting: Fork on the napkin to the left of the plate, knife and spoon to the right of the plate, with the knife closest and its blade facing the plate. A drinking glass would be above and to the right of the dinner plate. I admit I don’t often practice these skills. In our house we pretty much grab a handful of knives and forks and divvy them up at the table. I picture the Vermont Tavern Table as the perfect place for the family to gather and talk about their day.
If you want to invite a couple of friends to join you for dinner, you may want to kick it up a notch. That brings us to the informal place setting. In addition to the items found in casual dining place setting you may find a bread plate, an additional glass, a salad fork, and possibly a soup spoon. I think the Cherry Moon dining table would be the just the thing for a gathering of close friends.
For a more formal gathering, place setting can be much more involved. There are water and wine glasses and, for truly elegant dinner parties, enough silverware to ready a small army. These can include fish, dinner, salad, cake and cocktail forks, dinner and butter knives, teaspoon, soup and dessert spoons. Add to all of that a charger (a decorative plate slightly larger than a dinner plate), dinner, salad and bread plates and you’re going to need a lot of real estate to hold it all. My choice would be the Vermont-Made Shaker with a boat top. It just gives a vibe of elegance to me.
Place setting has become a bit of an art form. While there are “standard” placements for items, these days you can be much more creative. Add a favor for each guest, create your own napkin rings and place cards or learn napkin folding techniques. Add different levels of candles and some flowers, gourds, or other seasonal items to make an aesthetically pleasing centerpiece. Your table should be a reflection of your own style.
September 25th, 2013 by Kelsey Eaton
Sometimes it’s the details that really make the design. While some furniture pieces are defined by their clean, straight lines… others are characterized by their delicate edges and curves. “Curvy” furniture pieces have an undeniable aesthetic appeal, because even the most subtle arches can take a normal piece of furniture and give it an element of whimsy and uniqueness. The following 5 wood tables have chic, attention grabbing curves that are sure to make a beautiful focus piece for any space.
1. The Modern Contemporary Trestle Table features an organic live edge top, highlighting the natural curves of the wood. The contrast between the clean lines of the legs and the shapeliness of the top create a beautifully modern piece fit for any home looking to add a bit of organic flair to their home decor.
2. The Cherry Blossom Double Pedestal Table is a truly artistic piece, with two elegant pedestal bases and striking curved, arching legs. Click the photo to see this table with a Mahogany cherry stain, giving it an even more captivating, dramatic look.
3. Our solid wood French Country Coffee Table is the perfect addition to any high end living room, den, or study. The subtle but elegant curved legs go beyond the standard coffee table design, giving you a charming, luxurious piece!
4. Our Duncan-Phyfe Round Extension Dining Table features a modern adaptation of the claw foot, giving it a dramatically elegant look. It can be extended into a larger, oval shaped table, leaving plenty of leg room for your family or guests. The smooth arches of the legs are what give this table its timelessly stylish appeal.
5. The Audrey Solid Top Dining Table features elegant lines in its rectangular table top, and a trestle base with dynamic double ‘X’ legs. The unique arches in the legs make this an ideal piece for anyone with a modern eclectic taste, or for someone adding to add something a little less traditional to their furnishings. This smooth, geometric design is sure to be an attention grabber in any room.
September 21st, 2013 by Peggy Farabaugh
Mary’s M’s cherry dining furniture (shown above) was made in Vermont (a relatively humid place, especially in the summer) and shipped to the desert of Arizona. Since we ship a lot of Vermont made wood furniture to desert locales in California, Texas, Arizona, Nevada and elsewhere, I thought I’d post a few tips on humidity and climate control.
When wood is part of a living tree, water moves up the trunk, from the ground and through the pores and fibers of the wood, as it travels out to the leaves. After a tree is cut and sawn into lumber, water continues to move back and forth through the wood fibers until the wood’s moisture level reaches equilibrium with its environment.
The job of woodworkers is to design and build furniture with a thorough understanding of the characteristics of wood movement. But in spite of their advanced knowledge and skills, no woodworker is able to create wood furniture that is completely unresponsive to temperature and humidity in your home. So here are a few climate control tips from our Furniture Care section to ensure that your wood furniture will remain beautiful and structurally sound for generations of enjoyment.
Normally if you’re comfortable with the temperature and humidity in your home, your wood furniture will be comfortable as well. It’s designed to be durable and to accommodate normal changes in climate so most homeowners need not worry. Relax and enjoy it. Given reasonably good care your wood furniture will last for generations.