If you’re not already acquainted with the JK Adams brand, allow me to highlight a few things about their history and quality. JK Adams has been “bringing generations of New England Yankee craftsmanship to the gourmet housewares industry for over 65 years.” They handcraft innovative and functional hardwood cutting boards, bowls, utensils, wine racks and knife racks in Dorset, Vermont– just a short ways from Stonehurst.
In addition to wooden housewares, JK Adams also offers Vermont slate products including Lazy Susans and drink coasters (with padded bases to prevent tabletop scratches).
One of the reasons we wanted to represent JK Adams is their commitment to the environment and the Vermont community. Sustainability is part of the foundation the company. Every J.K. Adams product is made in America from sustainably-grown and harvested North American wood. The J. K. Adams facility is fueled with wood scraps. Sawdust is shipped to area farmers for use on their fields and as beds for their animals. The company employs many generations of local families and they are one of the largest employers in the area.
Please join us in warmly welcoming J. K. Adams to Vermont Woods Studios and Stonehurst. We know you will love their products.
ps– they make wonderful gifts for the holidays, weddings, anniversaries and birthdays!
I’m about to out myself as an old-timer. When I was in Junior High most girls took a class called Home Economics. We learned cooking and sewing skills and actually got tested on the proper way to set a table. I have never forgotten the basics of casual dining place setting: Fork on the napkin to the left of the plate, knife and spoon to the right of the plate, with the knife closest and its blade facing the plate. A drinking glass would be above and to the right of the dinner plate. I admit I don’t often practice these skills. In our house we pretty much grab a handful of knives and forks and divvy them up at the table. I picture the Vermont Tavern Table as the perfect place for the family to gather and talk about their day.
If you want to invite a couple of friends to join you for dinner, you may want to kick it up a notch. That brings us to the informal place setting. In addition to the items found in casual dining place setting you may find a bread plate, an additional glass, a salad fork, and possibly a soup spoon. I think the Cherry Moon dining table would be the just the thing for a gathering of close friends.
For a more formal gathering, place setting can be much more involved. There are water and wine glasses and, for truly elegant dinner parties, enough silverware to ready a small army. These can include fish, dinner, salad, cake and cocktail forks, dinner and butter knives, teaspoon, soup and dessert spoons. Add to all of that a charger (a decorative plate slightly larger than a dinner plate), dinner, salad and bread plates and you’re going to need a lot of real estate to hold it all. My choice would be the Vermont-Made Shaker with a boat top. It just gives a vibe of elegance to me.
Place setting has become a bit of an art form. While there are “standard” placements for items, these days you can be much more creative. Add a favor for each guest, create your own napkin rings and place cards or learn napkin folding techniques. Add different levels of candles and some flowers, gourds, or other seasonal items to make an aesthetically pleasing centerpiece. Your table should be a reflection of your own style.
Sometimes it’s the details that really make the design. While some furniture pieces are defined by their clean, straight lines… others are characterized by their delicate edges and curves. “Curvy” furniture pieces have an undeniable aesthetic appeal, because even the most subtle arches can take a normal piece of furniture and give it an element of whimsy and uniqueness. The following 5 wood tables have chic, attention grabbing curves that are sure to make a beautiful focus piece for any space.
1. The Modern Contemporary Trestle Table features an organic live edge top, highlighting the natural curves of the wood. The contrast between the clean lines of the legs and the shapeliness of the top create a beautifully modern piece fit for any home looking to add a bit of organic flair to their home decor.
2. The Cherry Blossom Double Pedestal Table is a truly artistic piece, with two elegant pedestal bases and striking curved, arching legs. Click the photo to see this table with a Mahogany cherry stain, giving it an even more captivating, dramatic look.
3. Our solid wood French Country Coffee Table is the perfect addition to any high end living room, den, or study. The subtle but elegant curved legs go beyond the standard coffee table design, giving you a charming, luxurious piece!
4. Our Duncan-Phyfe Round Extension Dining Table features a modern adaptation of the claw foot, giving it a dramatically elegant look. It can be extended into a larger, oval shaped table, leaving plenty of leg room for your family or guests. The smooth arches of the legs are what give this table its timelessly stylish appeal.
5. The Audrey Solid Top Dining Table features elegant lines in its rectangular table top, and a trestle base with dynamic double ‘X’ legs. The unique arches in the legs make this an ideal piece for anyone with a modern eclectic taste, or for someone adding to add something a little less traditional to their furnishings. This smooth, geometric design is sure to be an attention grabber in any room.
Robin’s been crafting beautiful fine wooden furniture for over 25 years and it’s always fun to visit his workshop in pastoral Calais, Vermont. Besides seeing all of his works in progress we got to tour the Maple Corner campus and meet the furry sentinels that guard and patrol the grounds (see photo).
It was a very productive meeting and it didn’t hurt that it was in a setting of Robin and Annie’s herbal gardens and central Vermont’s rolling hills.
I see Robin’s furniture as a reflection of his own demeanor: elegant,
refined and genuine. He’s a master at combining authentic Shaker sensibilities with modern, contemporary design. Check out his furniture creations on our website:
After a stressful day at the office who doesn’t want to come home and melt into a comfortable cradle, drifting off to sleep in style?
Copeland’s high end Monterey Bedroom Furniture Collection updates traditional Arts & Crafts style with a modern Japanese touch. The headboard is reminiscent of a Shinto shrine’s torii gate, an icon that represents the transition from the “profane to the sacred“. Such an appropriate analogy for the transition from your day of hard work into a night of peaceful slumber!
Handcrafted in real cherry hardwood, the Monterey Bedroom set is made to order and can be customized online in your choice of natural cherry, windsor cherry, autumn cherry, congnac cherry, saddle cherry and smoke cherry wood stain. The platform bed can also be customized with an upholstered headboard in your choice of 5 different microsuedes and 3 leathers.
Copeland also offers a Monterey platform storage bed which features four 8″ deep, under-bed storage drawers that provide plenty of stylish storage– now essential for small apartments. Nightstands are designed to allow easy access to the storage drawers– it’s great furniture for small spaces.